Do you know how to cook dumplings? No, I’m not talking about making minced meat from high-quality products in the right proportions and making the dough correctly, but making beautiful pieces of them with the right ratio of form and content. To be honest, this is only half the battle. The product must also be cooked so that it does not spread, does not stick to the pan and does not remain raw. It does not matter if you bought them or sculpted yourself, with all the love of cooking that you are capable of. To make the dumplings tasty and beautiful, you need to know when to put them in water and how much time to cook after boiling.
Where did the dumplings come from
It is unlikely that even the most meticulous culinary history researchers will be able to answer the question of when exactly the dumplings appeared. It is also difficult to say which country has the right to be called their homeland. The fact is that in the kitchens of many nations of the world there are dishes that represent a small piece of dough, in which the filling is wrapped.
The mention of "bags of dough" are even in the writings of writers of ancient Greece and the Roman Empire. But the most popular version says that in their present form they came to us from China. True, not immediately, but after making a long journey through Central Asia, Siberia and the Urals. Already in the XV century, the dish was very popular in these regions. The name "dumpling" is translated as "bread ear" and occurs, according to the most common version, from the Komi-Permyak language.
For centuries, dumplings have been a favorite food in Asia, Siberia and the Urals.
Why dumplings have become an integral part of the Siberian cuisine? Yes, everything is very simple: they are easy to prepare and convenient to store. On long winter evenings, whole families sculpted them for the future, laid them in boxes or bags and put them out into the cold, for example, in unheated canopy. The harsh climate contributed to the fact that the dumplings remained in their original form and did not deteriorate for many months, before the onset of heat.
In Siberia, dumplings are reserved for the future and are eaten by the whole company for any reason.
Dumplings appeared on the territory of Central Russia only in the 19th century. But since then they have become a real Russian dish with a national flavor.
Little about stuffing
In any dish, every ingredient is important. And dumplings have their own peculiarity, to which particular attention should be paid. This is a filling, namely - minced meat, which is wrapped in dough.
The choice can be huge, but we will cover the classic options. Traditionally in Russia for the molding used meat of various kinds. More often it is pork, beef, lamb, chicken, turkey or duck. They used the meat of the forest beast - elk, bear, hare, but in the European part of the country such meat will be a wonder.
But the species that are more common in our latitudes have been used for a long time and actively. Every housewife knows that taking only one kind of meat for mince is not a good idea. For example, beef will be harsh and dry, pork will be too fat and heavy. Poultry meat does not give the expected taste and juiciness. Therefore, we use a mixture of different minced meat.
The most common filling for ravioli is minced meat of several types of meat.
The most popular mix is pork with beef in a 1: 1 ratio. Also recommend a mixture of equal parts of lamb, beef and pork. Many housewives are convinced that in such stuffing proportions should be: 45% beef, 35% lamb and 20% pork. In principle, you can choose your favorite taste by sampling yourself.
For added flavor and aroma, be sure to add fresh or fried onion to the mince. It is better to twist through a meat grinder together with meat. Greens and spices will also be useful.
For those who are indifferent to meat, there are recipes for ravioli with fish. They love to cook the inhabitants of Siberia and the Chinese. And the Japanese are filling the dough with shrimps.
In China and Siberia they like to cook dumplings with fish
Convinced vegetarians, too, will not go hungry. Dumplings are not only meat or fish. In different regions you can find stuffing from potatoes, turnips, mushrooms, sauerkraut, cottage cheese with chopped tomatoes, curd cheese.
Fans of vegetarian cuisine can try dumplings with vegetable filling
How many dumplings are cooked: some ideal cooking options
If you are faced with cooking dumplings for the first time, you will certainly look into the cookbook or instructions on the package. Everything is laconic there: throw them into boiling water, cook until ready. And how to define it, this mysterious readiness? How to avoid sticking of a product in a monolithic lump, or spreading to components - dough and stuffing? When do you need to add salt and spices? Why not take advantage of new technological advances for the kitchen, and how to do it right?
To cooked dumplings do not stick together, you need to cook them by the rules
So many questions in, it would seem, such a simple matter ... And we will answer them in detail and in detail.
Note! The easiest and most common way to determine readiness is to trace when they float up and will freely hold in boiling water without falling to the bottom. But mistakes are possible here.
Of course, self-modeling of dumplings is a fascinating occupation, especially if the whole family does it. But it requires a lot of time, which we often do not have at all. Come to the rescue ready, which can be bought at any supermarket or grocery store. The main thing is that the product was of high quality. Another positive feature of the store is that they do not have to be defrosted.
Shop dumplings do not have to defrost before cooking
So you need:
- 1 kg dumplings;
- 3-4 liters of water;
- butter - 1-2 tbsp. l .;
- black pepper, bay leaf and any other spices;
The cooking procedure.
- Take a deep pan and pour water into it. Its volume should exceed the number of dumplings about 3 times or even slightly more.
Pour water into the pot
- Season the water with salt and your favorite spices, for example, a pair of bay leaves and black peppercorns. If the stuffing in the dumplings is salty, you can not add salt.
Salt and add seasoning
- Wait for the boiling water.
Wait for the water to boil
- Throw pelmeni in the pan. Do it quickly, but each separately. If you do this for a long time, the first dumplings are already brewing, while you throw the last ones. And if the whole pack gets into the water at once, you will have to wait for the re-boiling. During this time, they limp.
Throw dumplings in boiling water one by one
- Stir constantly until the water boils again. This is to ensure that the dough does not stick to the bottom and walls of the pan. Wait another 3-5 minutes until all the ravioli float. After that, immediately transfer them with a skimmer on a plate or dish. Add sour cream, butter, tomato sauce to your taste - this is what the soul is about and serve.
Serve ravioli with butter and sour cream
Blind dumplings with their own hands are cooked according to the same algorithm as those bought in the store. But there are very important nuances.
- Dough, kneaded with their own hands, often quite dense. To make a thin layer of it, as in a factory, is not easy. Therefore, the cooking time of homemade ravioli, which have been frozen, is increased to 8-10 minutes from the moment the water boils.
Homemade ravioli dough is thicker than the store, so they need to cook longer
- If you did not freeze the dumplings after modeling, but decided to boil them immediately, reduce the time to 2-3 minutes.
- Freezing home storage, they are poured flour. Try to shake it all before cooking to prevent the dough from sticking in boiling water.
Be sure to shake the flour with dumplings before cooking, otherwise the dough will stick together
- When preparing the dish for long term storage, do not add salt and especially spicy fragrant spices to the mince. Over time, because of them, semi-finished products can darken and acquire an unpleasant smell.
Video: correctly prepare the dumplings in the pan
How to make a microwave
There is not always a desire to cook on the stove, over time, boiling water. Especially if you have a kitchen appliance, for example, a microwave. Cooking is much more convenient and faster.
- 200 g dumplings;
- 1-2 glasses of water;
- green onions;
- sour cream or butter - to taste;
- salt, spices.
Let's cook like that.
- Take a deep dish suitable for the microwave. In her evenly place the dumplings. It is advisable to cook in small portions, otherwise 2-3 layers of semi-finished products just stick together.
Put the dumplings in a bowl in one layer.
- Add boiling water to the plate so that the dumplings are filled with 2/3 of it. However, many housewives completely fill them with water, considering that this way they will become softer and more tender.
Pour boiling water over dumplings
- Cover the plate and place in the microwave. Set the power to 750 watts and time 5 minutes.
Cover the plate with a lid and put in the microwave
- Meanwhile, finely chop the green onion feathers. You can take dill or parsley - to taste.
Finely chop the greens
- When the microwave alerts you with a beep about the readiness of the dish, remove the plate. Mix the dumplings well, season with salt, season with spices and add fresh herbs.
Remove the dumplings, mix with greens and spices.
- Cover the plate again, put it in the microwave and turn it on for another 5 minutes.
Put the dumplings in the microwave again.
- Is done. Put them in another plate, add butter, pour your favorite sauce or sour cream and call the family at the table.
Dumplings are ready, you can serve them to the table
Video: Dumplings from the microwave
How to cook using multicooker
Another useful device - the slow cooker - will help you to taste delicious pellets without any hassle. Take these products:
- dumplings - 400 g;
- water - 200 ml;
- sour cream - 100 ml;
- hard cheese - 60 g;
- salt, spices.
And we prepare as follows.
- On the bottom of the multicooker bowl lay out the dumplings. It is better if they are frozen.
Spread dumplings at the bottom of the crock-pot
- Prepare broth: mix water with sour cream in a proportion of 2: 1. Add salt and seasonings. Pour the mixture of dumplings.
Pour the dumplings with a mixture of sour cream, water and seasonings.
- Turn on the multicooker in the "Steamed" mode. You can also select the "Baking" menu.
Set the desired mode on the multicooker.
- Rub the cheese on a fine grater. By the way, if it is very salty, do not add a lot of salt to the broth to pour the dumplings.
Grate hard cheese
- When cooking is complete (depending on the device model, it may take 10 to 20 minutes), open the multicooker bowl and remove the dumplings with a skimmer. Put them in a plate, add butter and cheese. You can have lunch!
Remove the cooked ravioli from the slow cooker and sprinkle with cheese.
Video: how to cook dumplings in a slow cooker
In a double boiler
Cooking dumplings in a double boiler, you get the perfect product shape. True, steaming dumplings can become dryish.
You will need:
- dumplings - 400 g;
- water - 150 ml;
- salt, spices.
- In a double boiler pour water.
Pour water into a double boiler.
- Take a bowl and grease its bottom with oil.
Grease the bottom of the steamer bowl
- Spread the dumplings in one layer so that there is a small distance between them. Place the bowl and turn on the steamer. If you have a "multi-storey" device, do not forget that at the first level the products will cook faster.
Set the bowls of steamers with dumplings and turn on the device
- If you cook dumplings that have just been blinded, you need to wait 25-30 minutes. For frozen it takes 40-45 minutes.
Choose the right time.
- When the dumplings are ready, immediately put them on the plate, otherwise they will dry to a cooling double boiler. It only remains to add salt, spices, butter and favorite sauce.
As soon as the dumplings are cooked, immediately remove them from the steam tank.
Useful tips: what to do so that they do not stick together
It would seem that all proportions are met, and the cooking time is precisely maintained. But the dumplings still managed to stick together, as luck would have it. The taste will not suffer from this, but I want the shape to be beautiful. Want to avoid such trouble, make it a rule to follow these tips.
- Into the water in which the dumplings will boil, pour in 1-2 tsp shortly before boiling. sunflower oil.
- Do not cook too many dumplings in one pan. The smaller their place, the more likely that they stick together. If you have to cook for a large family, better cook portions.
The more dumplings in the pan, the more likely they are to stick together
- Dumplings should be put only in boiling water. Put in the cold - and the dough will limp.
- Pelmeni, immersed in water, can immediately stick to the bottom. To avoid this, gently mix them.
As soon as you toss the dumplings into the water, mix them immediately.
- As soon as you put cooked hot dumplings from the water on a plate, immediately add the butter to them.
What can be seasoned during cooking
Most often, when cooking dumplings, we use only classic black pepper and bay leaves from seasonings. In principle, not bad. But if you want a real masterpiece on your table, try to vary the contents of the pan. For example:
- use for cooking instead of water, meat or chicken broth;
- put the whole peeled onion in a saucepan or add a stir-fry with onions and carrots;
- mix the butter with garlic chopped with a press, pour the dumplings and sprinkle with finely chopped dill;
- buy special seasoning for ravioli at the store or create your own spice mix to taste.
Cook dumplings in broth with vegetables and various spices.
What to do with the finished dish
Traditionally, we spice dumplings with sour cream or some sort of sauce, for example, ketchup. Did you know that limitless imagination can help you to originally serve the finished dish?
- Prepare a spicy nutritious sauce especially for dumplings. In a deep bowl, pour a little hot broth in which the bear ears were boiled (literally a few tablespoons), add a piece of butter. Stir until dissolved. Pour in 1 tsp. vinegar, season with ground pepper. Stir once more. Pin dumplings on the fork, dip in the sauce and send in the mouth.
- Do you like spicy food? Then you will like dumplings flavored with mustard or adjika.
- Try to add to the butter, which you fill the dumplings, grated horseradish and chopped greens. So the dish will get piquancy.
- Serve the dumplings in deep plates with the meat or chicken broth in which they are cooked. Literally 1-2 ladles, and you get rich soup.
- Lovers of exotic and Asian cuisine will appreciate the dumplings with spicy savory soy sauce.
- Dumplings can be eaten even with a vegetable salad. As a garnish, try, for example, chop cabbage, put in it a thinly sliced cucumber, finely chopped onion with dill, salt, spices, season with sour cream and mix.
Photo gallery: beautiful feeds
- And how do you like this "kebab"?
- Serve the dish on lettuce leaves, adding more greens
- In old recipes, it is recommended to add cranberries to meat dishes.
- Many, many side dishes of fresh vegetables - why not serve the dumplings that way?
- Original and piquant combination - dumplings with soy sauce
- Your favorite sauce will be a great addition to the dish.
- Serve the dumplings in broth with lots of greens
- The classic way of serving dumplings - with butter and sour cream
Bonus recipe: dumplings in Japanese (fried gyoza)
Since we know that dishes that are in many ways similar to dumplings are cooked in many countries, why not try cooking something exotic? For example, very original Japanese gyoza, which will undoubtedly surprise your relatives and friends.
You will need:
- flour - 300 g;
- boiling water - 250 ml;
- pork or ground beef (or a mixture of both of these types of meat) - 200 g;
- young carrots - 2 pcs .;
- green onions - a small bunch;
- garlic - 2-3 cloves;
- chili pepper - 2 pcs .;
- cilantro - bundle;
- fresh ginger - 1 tsp;
- cooking oil for frying;
- soy sauce - optional.
- Place the sifted flour in a bowl. Carefully, in a thin stream pour boiling water to control the density of the dough - it is necessary that it becomes elastic, but not rigid.
Mix flour and water in a bowl.
- After mixing the flour and water in a bowl, flush the table with flour, place the dough on it and knead well.
Knead the dough thoroughly
- Put the ready dough on the board, cover with a cloth or towel and leave for 30-40 minutes.
Leave the dough under the towel for half an hour.
- Put dough to a bed. Cut circles from it using a mold or cup.
Roll out the dough and cut it into circles
- Cut the cleaned carrots as thin as possible into thin strips or rub on a special grater for Korean carrots.
Cut the carrot into very thin straws
- Chop greens and remaining vegetables as desired.
Cut garlic, cilantro, ginger and pepper as you like.
- Put all minced ingredients in the mince and mix in a uniform mass. Right now you can add salt, but note that the soy sauce, with which you later season your ready-made gyoza, is already quite salty.
Mix the meat with the rest of the ground ingredients.
- Place the pieces of minced meat in circles out of dough. Blind as you like.
Spread the stuffing on the dough and make dumplings of arbitrary shape.
- Heat a small amount of vegetable oil in a pan.
Heat the oil in the pan.
- Fry the dumplings on each side for about 3 minutes, until a ruddy-colored crust forms. After that, pour about 150 ml of water into the frying pan and cover with a lid. Keep on medium heat until the water is completely evaporated.
Fry the dumplings on both sides
- Gyoza must be served hot. Be sure to sprinkle them with fresh herbs and do not forget about soy sauce!
Serve hot gyoza, and always with soy sauce
Video recipe: pot baked dumplings
Now you have another great dish in service. More precisely, the mass of options for its preparation. You need not be afraid that your favorite dumplings will come out badly, but how many ways you can cook, fry or bake them! Now from the usual product "for lazy and bachelors" you can cook a new dish every day.